Jungles & Rainforests in Thailand

Jungles & Rainforests in Thailand

Thailand

Jungles & rainforests in Thailand cover maximum of 28.4% land area of this beautiful Southeast Asian country which makes 14,520,000 hectares. 44.4% of the total forest area in Thailand is known as primary forest area which is 12.6% of total land area i.e. 6,451,000 hectares. Modified natural jungle area in the country consists on 4,970,000 hectares.

Government owns around 86.8% of the total forest area while remaining 13.2% is under private ownerships. 305 metric ton carbon is stored above-ground while 1,129 metric ton under/below-ground in these forests.

 

Jungles & rainforests in Thailand suffer from 0.4% or 58,800 hectares deforestation every year. The country has suffered from 44.9% change in deforestation rate since 90s. These jungles have lost around 9.1% or 1,445,000 hectares area so far because of deforestation since 1990. The jungles in Thailand also get affected every year because of jungle fires and have lost around 150,000 hectares area so far.

 

Rainforests and jungles in Thailand have 30 tree species that have been reported as critically endangered, 21 tree species that have been reported as endangered and 37 as vulnerable in the IUCN red list. Reports also claim that the recent economic development in Thailand is the result of natural resources and environment loss of the country. Thailand has lost most of its primary forest since 1990. The good thing is that the growing middle class of this country has shown interest to preserve their precious remaining forest reserves. Therefore, the country has banned logging across the nation since 1988. The revised National Forest Policy of Thailand has a target to increase their forest reserves to 40 percent.

 

The government stats show that nearly 13% of overall forest reserves in the country are protected. There’re more than 1,700 known species in the jungles & rainforests in Thailand including reptiles, mammals and beautiful birds. 5.1 percent of these species are endemic, while 5.8 species have serious threats to their lives. There’re more than 11,600 known species in the Thailand jungles related to vascular plants.

Related External Links